Saturday, November 2, 2013

Oh No! Banding on the GX7 Sensor? Not to Worry.

I saw a post by pisanoal on mu-43.com that initially had me worried. You see, I've only had a little time to play with my new Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, and most of that has been with the surprisingly decent new 14-42mm Series II kit lens.
 
In this post, pisanoal showed an example of the GX7 sensor producing "bands" in the image when shooting with the Lumix 20mm f1.7 (1st series) lens, which is one of my favorite Micro 4/3 lenses. Here's the example:
Image Source: http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=54486
 
Worrisome. Now here's the good news - it was shot using the electronic shutter.
 
When I was looking at the features of the new GX7, the electronic (silent) shutter came out as a major plus. I have always thought the Micro 4/3 camera mechanical shutters a bit loud. I found myself thinking, why would I ever use the mechanical shutter if I have an electronic one? The image above is one answer. The frequency of the data collection on the sensor when using the electronic sensor can interact with the frequency of some specific types of light, such as the fluorescent lights in the image above. Also, the electronic shutter cannot be used with flash.
 
(Click Here) to read the post and comments by pisanoal on mu-43.com.
 
Remembering those limitations, I have already found the silent electronic shutter to be a real advantage, as in the example below, which I shot inside a Buddhist temple. Photography was permitted in the temple, but I still found it nice to be able to shoot without drawing the attention of others.
 
 
Bathing the Buddha, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Series II Kit Zoom at 42mm
iso 1600, f5.6, 1/30 sec.
 
Not bad for iso 1600, at the long end of the kit zoom, wide open aperture, huh? This is a pretty impressive little camera.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment