Friday, February 28, 2014

Dreaming in Monochrom(e). I'm Starting to Like This Look for Live Music

I've been using my Leica M4-2 film camera with Tmax 400 film, pushing it to iso 1600 (+2 stops) for shooting live music lately. I'm really starting to like the high constrast black and white look I'm getting.
 
Here are some shots I took recently at the Bright Box, a wonderful venue in Winchester, Virginia.
 
(Click Here) to learn more about Bright Box.
 
This show happened to be opened by one of my favorites, you may recognize Melissa Wright, now in a band called Mink.
 
Mink, by Reed A. George
 
The headliner band this particular evening was River Whyless, who I can add to my list of must-see-again bands.
 
River Whyless, by Reed A. George
 
The third shot is my favorite from the evening. I love how each band member comes across quite individually, yet makes up a part of the whole. I'm pleased with it.
 
I shot three lenses with my M4-2 on this evening: Leica 35mm f1.4 pre-aspheric Summilux, Zeiss 50mm f1.5 Sonnar-C, and Leica 90mm f2.8 Elmarit. I'm really beginning to like the combination of this very light, easily maneuverable kit and the look of pushed black and white film. Of course, it wouldn't work for everything, but in already harshly-lit stage settings, I think it does just fine.
 
Continuing on the path of learning how I may like the new digital Monochrom rangefinder, I do wonder how it would be to shoot at iso 1600 or even higher and get the wonderful low contrast, high dynamic images that camera is capable of. Maybe I'll have to borrow a Monochrom and see!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment