Saturday, July 12, 2014

Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo - Modern, Instant, Analog - My New Toy on the 4th of July

Image Source: http://www.fujifilm.com/products/instant_photo/cameras/instax_mini_90/
 
When I attended the Film Photography Project (FPP) Walking Workshop several weeks back, I sort of got re-energized about instant film photography.
 
(Click Here) to read about FPP. Support them - they're keeping film alive and available for us all, with the help of us all.
 
One of the many nice people I met there at the workshop had a Fujifilm Instax Mini 90 Neo camera, the one shown above (and available from Amazon with the link below - please buy yours with the link!). This camera uses the newer Fuji Instax Mini film, which I hope will be around for a very long time. It produces prints that are about the size of a 6x9 medium format image. They seem to scan pretty well.
 
While most of the Instax cameras are completely automatic and not controllable to a large extent, the Neo has several features for more involved photographers. For example, it as a B setting for time exposures, for example. The following shots show you how I used the B setting to photograph our family fireworks on the 4th of July.
 
In B setting, the Neo has a maximum exposure time of 10 seconds. That proved to be plenty, since Instax film has a speed of iso 800. I also used an external flash to light up my daughter while the shutter was open.
 
 
In the shot above, a car drove by during exposure, leaving the horizontal streaks.
Areas with severe overexposure take on a crazy look, as shown above. I like it.
This shot is my favorite of the bunch.
 
I'll continue to explore the Fuji Neo in coming posts. It's a lot of fun for the money (~$150). In addition to the cool functional features, the Neo is styled after other Fujifilm cameras, and looks like a slightly mis-shapen X100.
 
So, join the modern world of analog instant photography! Buy your Neo and film with the Amazon link below.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment