Saturday, February 21, 2015

Polar Bear Plunge - For a Great Cause

 
Last weekend, I happened into an unexpected event in Reston, Virginia, a polar bear plunge. It was a charity event, for the benefit of Camp Sunshine, a place where families with children battling cancer can go to relax and enjoy time together. (Click Here) to read more about the event.
 
As luck would have it, I had my Leica M9 and my Rolleiflex 2.8F with me. This post will show my color pictures, all taken with the M9 and Zeiss Sonnar C 50mm f1.5 lens, and a few with my new Leica Elmar C 90mm f4.
 
While it was unseasonably warm last Saturday, the water was still plenty cold. Here are the safety divers, clearing the diving hole of ice.
 
 
As you can imagine, an event like this attracts an interesting crowd of contestants.
 
 
When the event started, things got lively. I had a great location to shoot from as well.
 
 
People generally looked happy going in, shocked coming out, and downright uncomfortable after that.
 
 
And now, here are two of my favorites. First, my favorite shot of the jumpers.
 
 
And here's one of the crowd reflected in the icy water.
 
 
It was a very nice unexpected surprise, and I'm glad I was there to photograph it. I think I am indeed falling back in love with my Leica M9.
 
I'll post some images that I made with the Rolleiflex 2.8F tomorrow.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment