Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Great Egret - Nikon D810 and Nikkor 200-400mm f4 AF-S G VR Lens

And here's my best bird-in-flight shot from Sunday's paddle trip.
Great Egret (Ardea alba), by Reed A. George
Nikon D810, Nikkor 200-400mm f4 AF-S G VR Lens
iso 200, f5, 1/1250 sec.
 
I watched this beauty, and his/her nearly-identical partner, approach me from far way, flying downriver toward my kayak. I was lucky enough to get the focus just right on this shot, and capture the wings spread wide. This camera / lens combination is just astounding. It's what I've been working toward for years in gear for nature photography.
 
I find myself tempted to try the new Nikkor 200-500mm f5.6 (Click Here), a much lower cost and lower weight solution, but it's not going to provide image quality like this. And, that extra stop of light gathering (f4) in my lens really matters.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment