Friday, June 13, 2014

Bronica, Panoramic Format, and a Shot That Sticks in my Mind

I made this shot a few years back (2010), with my Bronica ETRS with 35mm wide (panoramic) back. It's Antietam Creek in Maryland.
 
Antietam Creek, by Reed A. George
Bronica ETRS, 35mm Wide Film Back
 
This shot has stuck in my mind for a very long time. It makes me once again remember my Bronica kit, and how much I like it. I bought the camera on a lark, and don't use it nearly as much as I should. I have a full set of lenses, and the panoramic back really adds to the usefulness of the camera. Yes, the ETRS is big, clunky, and loud; you're not going to sneak up on anyone with this camera. At least not after you click the shutter once. But, the lenses are immense chunks of glass, and I think produce first-rate images.
 
Likewise, as many others have, I had a brief period of intense interest in shooting panoramics. Actually, I really love the long aspect ratio. I need to do more with it. One limitation is that panos don't really lend themselves to efficient use of electronic displays, as the aspect ratio is just wrong for using most of the pixels on a normal display. I have planned to order roll paper to print them, but have never done it.
 
So, next time I'm feeling bored and ready for a camera/format change, I'm going to load up the ETRS and 35mm back and get down to business.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment