Thursday, November 27, 2014

Another 50 Year Camera - The Pentax Spotmatic

Happy Thanksgiving!
Lighthouse, by Reed A. George
Pentax Spotmatic, 200mm f4 Takumar Lens
 
As my 50th birthday blazes toward me at the speed of time, I've been thinking about cameras that were current at my birth, and still useful now. As I've written before, the Nikon SLR comes to mind, and the thought has me carrying my 50 year old Nikon F with me at the same time as my brand new Nikon Df.
 
I've also just realized that one of my other favorite cameras, the Pentax Spotmatic, was born the same year as me - 1964.
 
As so many others I know, I grew up with a Pentax K1000 in hand. But, one of my best friend's dads had a gorgeous Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic. We were allowed to use it once in a while, but he demanded respect for his camera, something you can't just leave to teenagers on their own. Anyway, I now own a couple of Spotmatics (you can pick them up for next to nothing), and even have the same model of 200mm f4 Takumar he had. It feels really good to use them.
 
(Click Here) for a great article on Petapixel about the Spotmatic's 50th birthday. It includes scans of a brief review of the new camera, written in 1965 by Fred Springer-Miller, who used one at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. Great stuff.
 
Civil War Sabre, by Reed A. George
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment