Wednesday, August 11, 2021

The Dolly Sods

 

Banner Tree, Dolly Sods, West Virginia
Nikon Z6, 14-30mm f/4 S lens, f/16,
6 second exposure, iso 50
Processed with Silver Efex Pro 2

Been a while, huh?  Well, I just felt like getting back on here today and sharing a photo from the amazing Dolly Sods, a very special wilderness place in West Virginia.  

The Dolly Sods are known for extreme weather, especially wind, which causes trees to grow branches only on their downwind side like the one shown above.  

The wind wasn't too extreme today, but too strong to hope for freezing the motion of the leaves at any reasonable iso setting.  So, I embraced it.  I wanted to show why the banner trees grow this way.  I think you can see that in the moving leaves.  Once I got home, I decided this antique photo plate treatment in Silver Efex fit the image best.


No comments:

Post a Comment