Friday, December 13, 2013

Fewer New Lumix Cameras in 2014? Five May Be Enough :)

 
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
Image Source: http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/lumix-cameras-falling-out-of-favour-at-panasonic-less-launches-in-2014--1203912
 
According to an article on TechRadar, Panasonic may be reducing their efforts to produce new Lumix camera models for 2014.
 
(Click Here) to read the TechRadar post.
 
Now, as with most things, there are two sides to this for me. First, if the report is correct and Panasonic is losing money on the Lumix camera line, I am concerned. I love that Panasonic can come into this market, pick a very strong format (I'm talking Micro 4/3 here), and compete (beat?) the companies that have been making still cameras since before I was born. There is no old Lumix film camera for users to be attached to; they made the choice to try something new. In my opinion, Panasonic has done a lot of things right, including partnering with Leica for optics, and continuing to push the Micro 4/3 sensors to a level where they've surpassed 35mm film image quality already.
 
And, the Lumix compacts are also great achievements. My experience is with the amazing DMC-LX7, which does everything and does it pretty well, while fitting in my pocket, and the DMC-TS5, which I can use to shoot movies or stills at 40 feet underwater, carry into the mud to go fossil hunting, and never worry a minute about.
 
On the other hand, as long as Panasonic stays in this game, five new models in 2014 is enough for me. I would imagine this to be three compacts and two Micro 4/3 cameras (pure speculation on my part). That's enough. In fact, I'm looking forward to spending some time with my new GX7 in 2014, and don't need the diversion of a GX8 or 9.
 
So, keep your chin up, Panasonic. Put your efforts into five EXCELLENT cameras instead of ten incremental improvements.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment