Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Admiration for the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7

My photographic interests have largely taken me away from Micro 4/3 recently, but not completely. My most recent Micro 4/3 camera is the DMC-GX7, which I must admit I'm not using enough. Here's a recent shot from my trip to New Mexico.
 
St. Felipe de Neri Church, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Series II Kit Lens at 27mm
iso 200, f10, 1/320 sec.
 
I found this church interesting, not because of its own interesting history and place, but because the name rung a bell with me. (Click Here) to see the images I made at San Felipe de Neri Square in Barcelona some time back.
 
I recently read an entry on Mike Johnston's blog "The Online Photographer," about the perfect two lens camera kit. In this piece, Mike opines that the Lumix 20mm f1.7 and 12-35mm f2.8 lenses make up the perfect minimalist kit.
 
(Click Here) to read about it on Mike's blog.
 
He thinks of the 20mm as the ultimate walk-around compact lens, and I agree. It is fast, sharp, and at an equivalent field of view of 40mm on a 35mm camera, just about ideal.
 
His choice for a second lens, the 12-35mm f2.8 Aspheric is also quite nice. I had one for a short time, and ended up sending it back. Not because of image quality, but because that zoom range really wasn't the best for me. I found the 35mm upper end of the zoom range limiting. I like to be able to shoot a portrait with any standard zoom, and felt it was just a little too short for that.
 
So, what would I choose? Well, if I could only have two lenses with the GX7, the first would be the 20mm f1.7, as Mike chose. Believe it or not, the second would be the new 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 Series II kit zoom. I would rely on the 20mm for any low light situations. The new kit zoom is incredibly compact and effective. I think the image quality is outstanding.
 
I don't know if and when I'll start once again focusing on Micro 4/3 gear. I'm simply having too much fun with Leica and old film gear at the moment. That said, the GX7 and GX1 made a great kit for my trip to New Mexico. Maybe I'll do that again on an upcoming trip.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment