Friday, April 11, 2014

Dreaming in Monochrom(e) - Mink's Miracle Medicine Show

My friends Rudy, Melissa, and Erik, former members of the band Acoustic Burgoo, came together to play a show under Melissa's new band name, Mink. The show was at Cristina's Cafe in Strasburg, Virginia.
 
(Click Here) to find Cristina's. If you're ever passing through Strasburg, stop in for a "Sexi Mexi Combo!"
 
I shot the show with my "Dreaming in Monochrom(e)" camera, the Leica M4-2, and my new favorite black and white film approach, using Ilford Delta 3200 exposed at iso 1600, and processed by The Darkroom.
(Click Here) to learn about The Darkroom, the best film processing service I've ever used.
 
Melissa Finishing Up the Set List, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Ilford Delta 3200 Film
 
I shot with two lenses, the Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm f1.5, which is a modern remake of the classic Sonnar design, with the latest materials, technologies, and optical coatings. The second lens was my Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4 version 3, from the 1970s.
 
Mink and Friends, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Ilford Delta 3200 Film
 
This was a very laid back show, which is sometimes nice. I got to hang out with my friends, have some excellent Mexican food, and move around and shoot as much as I liked.
 
Erik Burnham, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Ilford Delta 3200 Film
 
We saw various combinations of the three performers, and when not playing on stage, Erik stayed busy playing off-stage, dancing with our lovely waitress (whose name I didn't get, sorry!).
 
Dance, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Ilford Delta 3200 Film
 
Rudy B. and Erik, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Ilford Delta 3200 Film
 
Erik and Rudy are in another band, The Plank Stompers. You'll see images from my frequent attendance at their shows as well here at DMC-365.blogspot.com. The shot below is from behind them on stage. That's Britt in the audience (with the beard).
 
 
Mink and Friends, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Ilford Delta 3200 Film

Here is a shot that took advantage of the stage lights to play with some internal reflections and unpredictable properties of optics. Chance rather than design, I like how it turned out.

Erik and Rudy, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Ilford Delta 3200 Film
 
I think I have a style for many of my concert images now, at least the ones I want to shoot in monochrome.
 
I'm in the process of testing a new color film (CineStill), to see if it can be an equally satisfying solution for color. I shot two 36 exposure rolls of it last night at a house concert; we'll see how that turns out in a week or so.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment