Saturday, August 23, 2014

Small Music Venue? Try a Fisheye!

 
Jake and the Burtones with Melissa Wright, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye Lens
iso 3200, f3.5, 1/50 sec.
 
I'm getting ready to leave on a trip, and pulled the card out of my GX7 to download what was on there, before formatting and getting ready to leave. I remembered this shot of local band Jake and the Burtones and guest Melissa Wright when it came up.
 
They were playing at the Mad Horse Brewpub in Lovettsville, VA when I decided to give this shot a try. It's not really a small venue, but the band was tightly packed into the corner. I also wanted to try to get the whole group and include some of the artwork on the walls in the shot.
 
One of the challenges I've had shooting these guys is that there's a single microphone for vocals, which you see just left of center in the image above. This means that they spend a lot of time facing each other, with the microphone in between them. My real goal is to get the fisheye right up to that mic, with all of them looking in to sing at the same time. This was really just a test shot to see how the fisheye renders a group close up.
 
Apart from the extreme distortion at the edges, which is par for the course with a fisheye, it looks pretty good. I'll have to pursue the shot I really want soon.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment