Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Nikon 200-400mm f4 AF-S G VR Lens for Birds - The Warbler

My friend and I have just invested together in a very expensive lens - the Nikkor 200-400mm f4 AF-S G VR (version 1). Last weekend, I took it out in my kayak along with my super-sturdy Gitzo tripod and gimbal head.
 
While I was waiting for large birds to fly by where I'd set up the tripod, this colorful little guy showed up.
Prothonotary Warbler, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 200-400mm f4 AF-S G VR Lens
iso 720, f5, 1/1000 sec.
 
I had the D700 set to auto-ISO, so that I could set a fast (1/1000) shutter speed and the f-stop I wanted, letting the camera adjust ISO. As you can see, the warbler has an insect in his beak, a nice additional feature for the image.
 
Here's another shot of the same warbler.
 
Prothonotary Warbler, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 200-400mm f4 AF-S G VR Lens
iso 1600, f5, 1/1000 sec.
 
We also purchased the Nikon TCIIE 1.4X teleconverter with our lens. I could have used it here. Both of these shots are cropped from larger compositions (hey, he's a pretty small bird!). I did get a chance to try the lens and converter together. I'll post some of those shots in the coming days.
 
This is one amazing lens.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment