Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Nikkor 35mm f1.4 AIS for Environmental Portraiture - Folklife Festival

In the middle of my film scanning efforts, this image just jumped out at me.
 
Traditional Peru in Washington, DC, by Reed A. George
Nikon FM2, Nikkor 35mm f1.4 AIS Lens, Agfa APX400 Film
 
I feel that this image includes just enough of the surroundings to give the subject context, yet still emphasizes her beautiful face and expression. So this is why many photographers prefer the 35mm focal length for environmental portraiture! I also think that the Agfa film, with its relatively low native contrast and considerable grain, gives the image a slightly vintage feel.
 
I've got more scanning to do, but am sure that I will assemble a few of these images from the Smithsonian Folklife Festival into a small collection.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment