Sunday, July 26, 2015

Here's Something I've Been Thinking About - the Nikon D810 in Crop Modes

 
I am now the proud (half) owner of a Nikkor 200-400mm f4 AF-S VR G lens. Half, because I co-own it with a good friend of mine.
 
I always laugh when someone asks me what gear to buy to do a little nature photography, especially bird photography. Now that I have the 200-400, typically attached to my D700, I find myself thinking about what I could do with a D800 or D810 - so many more pixels that would allow me to use the crop modes (1.2 or 1.5) that are built into the camera, and still end up with images with sufficient resolution to print big.
 
At 1.2 crop, the D810 produces 25 megapixel images, and at 1.5 crop (same as DX sensors), the images are 16 megapixels. That's a serious advantage over the D700, with its 12 megapixels at full frame.
 
I love my D700, but a D810 may just be the perfect match for the 200-400 lens for nature photography.
 
(Click Here) to read a post by Kirk Tuck on the Visual Science Lab about this very subject.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment