Saturday, January 12, 2013

Studying Color - The Color Wheel and Complementary Colors

 
The Color Wheel
Image Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_wheel
 
Reading a new series of posts about on JPG Magazine's blog has me remembering middle school art class, and thinking about color schemes.
 
(Click Here) to read about the complementary colors red and green (for the holidays) on JPG Magazine's blog.
 
Complementary colors are defined as those that will make gray when combined. In a simpler sense, they are colors that lie opposite (or near opposite) one another on the color wheel. Use of complementary colors can make for dramatic images.
 
There are some very nice examples in the blog link above.
 
So do I have any examples of using complementary colors in my own work? Here's one:
 
Koi and Lily, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1, Lumix 45-200mm f4-5.6 at 97mm
iso 100, f5.6, 1/60 sec
 
And here's one you may have seen posted here before.
 
Beautiful Obsolesence, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Pana-Leica 25mm f1.4 Summilux
iso 160, f5.6, 1/160 sec
 
I like the JPG blog. There is already a follow-up post on other complementary colors. I don't think that I consciously picked this color combination in the shots above, but they must have caught my eye.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment