Saturday, April 27, 2013

Whole Lotta Leica - April's 50mm f2 Summicron Collapsible - in South Florida at the LHSA Spring Shoot!

I'm currently at the LHSA (International Leica Society) Spring Shoot in Fort Lauderdale, Florida - held April 18-20, 2013.
 
(Click Here) to read about LHSA. It's a wonderful group of real Leica experts, who also happen to be a lot of fun. Membership includes access to the excellent magazine Viewfinder, meetings in exciting places (Fort Lauderdale this spring, San Francisco in the fall), some amazing raffles for high end Leica equipment, and much more.
 
I'm operating with my iPad only on this trip, so the few pictures in this post are unedited jpegs, straight from the camera. They were all shot with the Summicron collapsible 50mm f2 lens that I selected for my Whole Lotta Leica series lens for April.
 
(Click Here) to read about this special lens.
 
Los Olas Cleaning Crew, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, 50mm f2 Summicron Collapsible
 
I shot this image on my way back to the hotel from Starbucks this morning. I knew that I liked the way the water pouring down looked, but didn't catch it the first time. I waited a few minutes while they soaped and scrubbed, and were finally ready for another water rinse. I also popped on my little Nikon SB30 flash to fill in the backlighting a little.
 
Bow Reflections on New River, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Summicron Collapsible 50mm f2
 
What I like about this shot is how the ripples in the water surface are reflected in the bright metal bow plate of the boat.
 
 
Villa Vizcaya Gardens, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, Summicron Collapsible 50mm f2
 
Our outing today began at Villa Vizcaya, home to industrialist James Deering from 1916-1925. I need to work with this image, but what I like is the double framing of a beautiful girl in a blue gown at the gates at the far end. At this size, she looks tiny. I'm hoping it will look good enlarged.
 
We also visited the new Leica store in Miami, and received a nice presentation on the new Leica M camera. Quite impressive.
 
The meeting also offers "Leica on Loan," where Leica loans out cameras and lenses for us to test on our daily shoots. Today I got the Leica Summicron 28mm f2. I shot it on a film Leica, my M4-2, so we'll have to wait until the film is processed to see how that went. I just looked it up and discovered that's a $4,200 lens! I'd better lock that in the hotel safe tonight... If you want your own, please buy it at the link below :)... As if.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Nice shots from an interesting location. It's a pity that there is no way to connect the camera to the iPad and import and work on the .raw files, when travelling I usually do it with my tablet and RawDroid app, so I can upload to the net after having worked on it with the Photoshop portable edition - working with the white balance, exposure and film filter is usually all that I do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea - those things may be accomplished on the iPad. I was just too busy to spend the time. More from South Florida will be coming soon!

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can post details on some other daily entry, I'm sure that many iPad users will thank you!

    ReplyDelete