Saturday, September 7, 2013

DMC-LX7 Landscape in Two Versions - Which Do You Prefer?

Here's a shot I took in Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii:
Lahaina Seawall's End, by Reed A. George
Panasonic DMC-LX7
 
I used Snapseed on the iPad to crop and straighten it. The square format worked much better than the original rectangular composition. I like the shot, but don't love it. The fence in the shadows is a major drawback in my opinion.
 
As I sometimes do, I took this image quite a bit further with some of Snapseed's effects. Here's the result:
 
Same Shot, Manipulated
 
Personally, I think the modified version has more feel to it. The fence is still there, but doesn't bother me nearly as much. I hate to admit that I enjoy manipulating images, as I consider myself a "straight" photographer. I also find it ironic to add imperfections to a perfectly good digital image. But, I do like the outcome.
 
Opinions?
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com