Thursday, May 1, 2014

Sigma Steps Up Its Game - Mount Conversion Service

Image Source: http://www.sigmaphoto.com/change-your-mount

I have precious little experience with Sigma products. I have owned one or two of their zooms in the past, and have occasionally borrowed a Sigma lens from a friend while out in the field. Other than that, the only Sigma product I currently own is an 800mm mirror lens from way back. Not a high quality beast, but certainly interesting to use. In fact, it's time to dust it off and play with it again soon.

So why am I writing about Sigma now? Well, they're doing some very interesting things.

My take has always been that Sigma produces a very wide range of products, from the cheapest plastic consumer lenses to high end super telephotos. I think they're focusing on bringing their name up in the ranks by focusing more on the high end.

While hardly a competitor for more standard CMOS sensor cameras, the Sigma Foveon has many die hard adherents, and the results seem to be great. I've never tried one seriously.

More interesting to me is their new "Art" series of lenses, which now includes a 35mm f1.4 and newly-arriving 50mm f1.4, both reported to be best in class (or very near it), even as compared to the equivalent lenses from Nikon, Canon, and others. I've been eyeing both of these lenses for my Nikon kit. There's also the earlier 20mm f1.8 that sure would come in handy in low light concert shooting. My Nikkor 20mm f2.8 sees a lot of use in these shows, but I sure could do with the extra f-stops.

But, here's another example of Sigma catering to serious amateurs and professionals - a mount conversion service. How many times have you or one of your friends wished you could switch camera systems and mounts without having to start over buying lenses? Sigma will now convert any of their new lenses from the Art, Contemporary, or Sports lines between any two of these mounts:

  • Nikon
  • Canon
  • Four-thirds
  • Sigma
  • Sony
  • Pentax
  • Sony-Emount
Compared to the cost of purchasing new lenses, the service price is quite reasonable ($80-$250 per lens).

(Click Here) to read more about this very interesting service. It would be great to know that your conversion was done by the most capable Sigma lens technicians, and verified with precision test equipment.

DMC-365.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment