Sunday, February 1, 2015

Dancing to Woody Pines on a Tuesday Night

Yesterday's post was about my friends in the band Mink, playing at Jammin' Java on a Tuesday night.
 
After Mink, Woody Pines hit the stage. I had to leave early, but did capture these shots of people having a good ol' time dancing to their music.
Dancing to Woody Pines, by Reed A. George
Nikon Df, Nikkor 24mm f2.8 AF-D Lens
iso 1600, f3.2, 1/60 sec.
Bounced flash (Nikon SB800) on manual, ~1/32 power
 
I was about to walk out the door as the band started, but the music was pretty infectious. Noticing that people had started to dance, I shot several images of them silhouetted against the stage lights, without flash, and with my 50mm f1.4 lens. None of those images really came out very well.
 
Then, I decided to move in closer with the 24mm, and add just enough flash to illuminate the dancers in front of the stage. I reduced the expose I'd already set for the previous shots by decreasing my iso from 3200 to 1600, and set the flash on a lower power manual setting. I was quite pleased with this result.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment