Saturday, October 13, 2012

I Wish I Could See This Gallery Showing In Person - Gordon Parks, 100 Years Since His Birth

Gordon Parks (1912-2006) is perhaps the most famous African American photographer in history.
 
I can remember marvelling at some of his work in one of my first photography books, The Joy of Photography I think it was, when I was about twelve years old. Mr. Parks photographed a wide variety of subjects, including segregation of races in the United States. He also did some spectacular coverage of bullfighting, including gorgeous treatment of motion through blur in his photographs. That early exposure has stuck with me throughout my photographic life.
 
(Click Here) to read a brief biography of Gordon Parks on the American Photography Archives Group (APAG) website.
 
There is a gallery showing at Howard Greenberg Studios in New York to celebrate Mr. Parks' centennial. I am going to New York soon, but will be there on Sunday and Monday, the two days that the studio is not open. Bummer.
 
(Click Here) to read more about the gallery event.
 
In order to respect copyrights, I am not including any of Gordon's work in this post. If you love photography, you owe it to yourself to see it. A simple google image search will yield plenty to look at.
 
While I hesitate to do this, because my work isn't worthy, I'm going to include a shot of my own, inspired by Mr. Parks' treatment of the bullfights.
 
Calf Roping, by Reed A. George
Nikon D200, Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 at 200mm
iso100, f20, 1/20 sec
 
I didn't think consciously about Gordon Park while making this photograph at a local rodeo a few years back, but I can see the inspiration for it now.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Dave. I appreciate your continued interest in my blog!

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete