Friday, March 8, 2013

March's Whole Lotta Leica Lens - The Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4

This month, I'll shoot my most valuable Leica lens - the Summilux 35mm f1.4. This, the second version of 35mm Summilux, was made from 1967-1995. Mine was made in 1972.
Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4 Lens
 
This is one of those lenses that Leicaphiles will kill for. Wide open, at f1.4, it has a dreamy, soft look. By f2.8 it's extremely sharp. It's also a very small lens, great for travel.
 
Since I'm traveling to Japan in March, I want to take one of my very best lenses on my M9. To be honest, I haven't used the Summilux all that much, since my normal tendency is toward 50mm lenses. In fact, I bought this lens as a package deal with the best 50mm I've ever owned, my Summicron 50mm f2.
 
I'm taking the Summilux to Japan this year, as I want to give my self the chance to fall in love with this lens.
 
I will probably also take a telephoto along for the M9, either the 90mm Elmarit f2.8, or Canon 135mm f3.5.
 
In addition to the M9 and a couple of lenses, I'll rely on my Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 for wide angle, macro, etc. I want to travel light this year. Of course, I'll also be carrying my Skeletons From The Closet camera, the Zeiss Ikonta medium format folder.
 
So, stay tuned for some results later this month and early next month. I hope that I can take some images that live up to the reputation that the Summilux has amongst Leica fans.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment