Saturday, March 23, 2013

Review and Sample Photos from Lumix DMC-LX7 on Entropic Remnants

 
 
John Griggs has posted an impressive review of the little Lumix DMC-LX7 on his blog, Entropic Remnants.
 
(Click Here) to read John's full review and see lots of great low-light image samples.
 
I very much like the style of John's review. He's to the point, honest, as well as being an obviously-talented photographer. He didn't take the easy route in this review. He took the small-sensored LX7 deep inside a dark factory environment, and came out with some awesome pictures.
 
John always shoots raw files, and is not shy about admitting that he post-processes in Lightroom to the extent needed. In addition to hitting some of the main features of the LX7 - the fast 1.4 Pana-Leica lens, built-in ND filter, and aperture ring (like a real camera!), John points out any deficiencies when he sees them. The only one that jumped out at me is that the lens can be flare-prone.
 
John finds iso 400 to be the "quality limit" of iso on the LX7, and is quite happy with 16x20 prints shot at iso 400. He mentions that 800 is usable. He also demonstrates high dynamic range (HDR) images and a macro shot from the LX7.
 
I have recently purchased the LX7 myself, and am in the process of becoming familiar with it. Part of that process is working through all of the settings that I find important for real world use. I'm documenting that, and will make it available in ebook form in the coming weeks.
 
My ebook is now available in Kindle format at Amazon:
 
(Click Here) to buy the LX7 Real World Setting Guide for $2.99, or borrow it for FREE if you're an Amazon Prime member. I would really appreciate a positive review of the book on Amazon, if you can spare the time.
 
I am also about to spend some quality time with the LX7 on my upcoming trip to Japan. I've decided to carry my M9 and Whole Lotta Leica lens (the Summilux 35mm f1.4), my Skeletons From The Closet camera (Zeiss Ikonta medium format folder), and the LX7. The LX7 will be responsible for most of my daily shooting, all closeups, etc. So, I hope to have something to show.
 
Having a fast f1.4 lens really extends the range of the LX7. Here's a shot from the interior of an airplane that I recently shot:
James Bond in Sepia, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7, Sepia-toned jpg
iso 200, f1.4, 1/60 sec
 
I'm very pleased to be able to shoot at iso200 in a dark airplane interior.
 
I'm really looking forward to pushing the LX7 to some limits on my upcoming trip.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I want to thank you for your gracious comments on my LX7 review! I'm afraid I'm not an Amazon member any more or I'd be happy to review your new guide and I hope you have great success with it.

    The only thing I'd correct is that I have not yet tried a 16x20" print at ISO-400 and I believe it would be fine. At base ISO that's a certainty for me but as I've not yet tried a print at 400 it's not something I can state factually. I may not have made that clear in the review, sorry.

    Thanks again!
    John Griggs

    ReplyDelete