Monday, March 23, 2015

"Cool Camera" - a Blessing and a Curse

My friends Charlie and Alain have recently pointed out the difference in how people react to a camera when they think it's cool or interesting. Specifically with Rolleiflexes, they have noticed that people come up to them to talk about the camera. It's certainly true.
 
Willing Subject, by Reed A. George
Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar, Kodak TMax 100 Film
 
In the case above, Charlie's Leica IIIC (just back from a CLA) attracted attention. This gentleman recognized both Charlie's Leica and my Rolleiflex.
 
Italian Gentleman, by Reed A. George

Rolleiflex 2.8F Planar, Kodak TMax 100 Film

 
Now, I won't deny that it's nice to have people come up to talk cameras. Sometimes when I'm out shooting, that's exactly what I'd like to have happen, and it typically results in at least one or two images.
 
But, other times, I don't want to be noticed at all. The Rolleiflex is not the best camera for that situation. It's a camera for someone who wants to engage their subject. That said, I have had the experience of using the Rollei inconspicuously, at waist level. Not having it at your eye and noticeably pointed at the subject can really help.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment