Sunday, January 1, 2012

Great Post on Technical Perfection at The Online Photographer

Hunter's Return image made with DMC-G1 Lumix and Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4
Hunter's Return - Lumix DMC-G1 and Leica Summilux 35mm f1.4

Not every image has to be technically perfect.  The image above was made with an older lens, adapted to the Lumix DMC-G1.  It is not perfectly sharp.  There is motion blur.  But, personally, I love it.

Here is a great, short blog essay over at the Online Photographer, edited by Mike Johnston, about technical perfection and its relation (or lack thereof) to the importance of a photograph.

 (click here)

I find this to be a very intriguing topic.  Personally, I do try to achieve as near to technical perfection as possible in my images.  However, I do understand the author's point.  In fact, I keep a favorite set of lenses that I think best help me to express myself.  Many of these are technically far behind the state-of-the-art.  Probably the best examples are very old, usually uncoated, Leica lenses.  I don't used damaged lenses to achieve "glow," but do appreciate how older lenses, in good condition, can render an image differently.  

The great thing is that I can adapt these lenses to my Lumix Micro 4/3 bodies.  Yes, there is the 2X crop factor issue, effectively turning a 50mm f1.4 into a 100mm f1.4 equivalent.  That can be a plus or a minus, depending on the situation.

There are many adapters available, for almost every type of lens to mount on Micro 4/3 bodies.  The ones I use come from the seller RainbowImaging over at Amazon.

I would appreciate hearing others' thoughts on this subject, of course!

DMC-365.blogspot.com


1 comment:

  1. Great start, Reed - and, very nice images. Looking forward to following you here.

    James

    ReplyDelete