Saturday, September 1, 2012

Morning Hike at Mount Diablo in California

Mount Diablo Landscape, by Reed A. George
 
Mount Diablo Landscape, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3
iso 160, f3.3, 1/125 sec.
 
We are on vacation in California, staying with friends in Lafayette. At least we are as I write this. By the time you read it, we'll be home. While my daughter slept in this morning, I got out for a sunrise hike at Mount Diablo.
 
This was one of my favorite hiking areas when I lived here in the East Bay. This morning I found some great fossil deposits, made up of shells from the Miocene (6-10 million years old). Apparently, this current mountain peak is a geologic "plug," pushed up from the ancient sea bottom. Nearby, in a quarry, many Miocene mammal fossils have been found, including mastodons, wolves, and camels. Interesting stuff.
 
 
Morning Sky, by Reed A. George
 
Morning Sky, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3
iso 160, f3.9, 1/1000 sec.
 
This little TS3 is really handy. Both of these images are straight from the camera.
I have some other images I took with my Leica M8, but will wait until I'm back home to upload them
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment