Sunday, February 23, 2014

How Often Do You See This? A Customer Asks For More of an Older Approach

Margot MacDonald, by Reed A. George
Leica M9, 50mm f1.4
iso 800, f1.4, 1/125 sec
 
No, this isn't a plea for Nikon to make a digital SLR like the great old film SLRs of the past (ala Df). It's an open letter, started on the blog "Photographs By Peter," to convince Leica to continue making new rangefinder cameras with CCD sensors.
 
(Click Here) to read the post on Photographs By Peter. The author makes the statement that image quality from Leica's latest rangefinder, the M240 (with the first CMOS sensor in the M line of rangefinders) is inferior to the CCD sensor-equipped M9.
 
I won't enter that argument directly. However, I will say that I'm quite pleased with my M9 (which came out before the M240), and I'm not looking to upgrade at this point. There's a lot more than image quality considered in that statement, however. I can't go around making multi-thousand dollar camera investments every year or so. And, I am not in need of some of the really strong features of the M240, including live view and the ability to adapt many different lenses, including the now mostly-orphaned Leica R lenses.
 
So, for now, the M9 remains my most expensive camera, and one of my favorites.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment