Friday, May 25, 2012

It's A Good Week For New Micro 4/3 Lens Announcements - If You Can Afford Them

 
Olympus 75mm f1.8 and Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 Lenses
Image Source: http://www.mu-43.com/
 
In addition to announcement of the Panasonic Lumix 12-35mm f2.8, which I have been anxiously awaiting (priced at $1,299), this week also brings us pricing on another long-awaited Micro 4/3 lens, the Olympus 75mm f1.8 telephoto. According to dpreview, the Olympus lens will retail for $899.
 
(Click Here) to read about the Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens on dpreview.
 
Each of these lenses has a lot of appeal to me. I have tried the Olympus 45mm f1.8, read the reviews, and seen many great example images. It is a great lens. This new 75mm from Olympus give you significantly more reach, with the equivalent field of view of a 150mm full-frame 35mm format lens, and maintains the super fast f-stop of 1.8. That would be a killer combination for my concert photography.
 
As I've already written, the Lumix 12-35 also offers a lot for the travel photograper.
 
Well, I've been saving up, waiting for both of these lenses. Writing this blog has focused me on my existing Lumix equipment, and I haven't really bought a new lens or body since it started. I did buy the Nissin Di466 flash, but nothing else of consequence has made its way into my bag since January. I did have the brief temptation of (and cancelled order for) the Lumix fisheye converter. I'm glad I held off.
 
I think Olympus is better at actually getting new products to the US market soon after announcement. So, my guess is the 75mm will be available before the 12-35mm Lumix.
 
Exciting days for the expanding native lens set for our Micro 4/3 cameras!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment