Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Rudy van Os Covers a Japanese Performing Arts Festival With the Fuji X100, Exclusively

 
Can anyone tell that I'm getting GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) symptoms for a Fujifilm X100 or X100S? The more I read about this camera, the more I like it. I like the idea of the Leica X2, but the images I've seen from the X100 (which should only improve with the new sensor in the X100S) are very convincing.
 
Today I read about how Rudy van Os (tokyoshots.com) used the X100 exclusively for a night time event shoot last summer. He left his Canon DSLR behind, because he needed to bicycle between five locations in the Japanese city of Kyoto, and didn't want to carry much. His photos did not suffer.
 
(Click Here) to read Rudy's report about the evening.
 
I like the look of these shots, even those taken in near darkness.
 
The only thing that's slowing me down with the X100 (other than the fact that the X100S isn't available yet) is that I'd actually prefer a zoom lens on my compact camera. The Fujifilm X10 (and new X20) have zooms, but their sensors are much smaller.
 
Oh yeah, then there's the cost - at ~$1,000 for the X100, $1,300 for the X100S, that's no small consideration.
 
Oh well, I'm in no hurry. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 is still a very solid choice for a compact backup to the Leica M9. It just doesn't do so well in the low light / digital noise department - it's really no slouch, even there. See the image below. Note, however, that this was shot at iso 80 for 30 seconds on a tripod. Boosting iso to shoot handheld would have ruined the shot.
 
I'd sure like to have a larger senosr and an optical finder like that on the Fuji X100. Maybe a fast zoom on a larger sensor like the X100 just becomes too big? I would certainly want it to be fast, like the f2-3.3 on the LX5.
 
Calvert Marine Museum at Night, by Reed A. George
Panasonic DMC-LX5, iso 80, f4, 30 sec.
 
Well, good things come to those who wait, correct?
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment