Sunday, March 17, 2013

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 - A Few Creative Control Examples

The Lumix LX7 is quite a little camera. With the small sensor size, which makes it possible to produce an amazingly well-featured camera with great fast optics in a very compact package, I usually shoot raw images, so that I can later control the noise levels in post-processing. Hold that that.
 
The LX7 has a plethora of built-in artistic and creative modes, as is common with many compact cameras. Here's the difference - the LX7 allows you to shoot both raw and jpeg files in these modes (except for the fully-automated iAuto mode). This gives you so much flexibility. Any of the creative control effects will be applied to the jpeg file (only), and the raw file remains untouched and ready for your post-processing as you see fit. So, I can actually use the creative controls on the LX7 without feeling that I may be missing the shot.
 
The jpeg processing on the LX7 is a little harsh in my estimation. Therefore, having the unaffected raw files really means a lot to me.
 
I recently took the LX7 on a trip to California, where I visited Pioneertown, a true town constructed by movie producers to make Westerns. It's quite a funky little place out in the desert.
 
(Click Here) to read about Pioneertown.
 
I tried a few of the creative controls, and really decided that I like "Toy" mode. Here's an example.
 
In a Pear Tree?, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7, Toy Setting
iso 125, f2.8, 1/125 sec
 
You can see that toy camera mode adds significant vignetting (darkening around the edges of the image), muted colors, and I think some loss of sharpness around the edges, while the center remains sharp. Kind of fun.
 
Here's one using the Impressive Art control:
 
Control, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7, "Impressive Art" Setting
iso 160, f1.6, 1/60 sec


Here's another setting, called "Expressive Art."

 
Desert Office, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7, "Expressive Art" Setting
iso 80, f2.8, 1/1600 sec
 
So far, I really like Toy mode best.
 
 
Desert Office 2, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7, "Toy" Setting
iso 125, f2.8, 1/1600 sec
 
All of these images are jpegs, right out of the camera. The final two I decided to shoot in square format, another great setting on the LX7. No adjustments were made to any of these.
 
And, the great thing is, I have the raw files if I want to process them differently! Lots of fun.
 
As promised, I'm nearing completion of my ebook on the LX7. I'll be announcing it soon.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
The best $298 (current price) you'll ever spend on photo equipment - please buy yours through this link:
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment