Friday, March 1, 2013

Skeletons From The Closet - March's Camera - The Zeiss Ikonta 521/16 With "Eagle Eye" Tessar

 
Zeiss Ikonta 521/16 With Tessar 75mm f3.5 Lens, by Reed A. George
 
My original plan for March's Skeletons From The Closet (SFTC) pick was a 35mm folding camera. Since I'm taking probably my most exciting trip of the year (to Japan) in March this year, instead of April when I normally go, I decided that I really wanted to carry a medium format camera this month. So, I decided to take my Zeiss 521/16.
 
This is a beautiful old camera, produced between 1948 and 1953. It uses 120 film, and produces 6x6 (2 2 1/4" square) images.
 
You may have seen my post back on November 19 of last year, sharing some found film images from this camera. It was used to shoot a presidential speech by John F. Kennedy in the early 1960s.
 
(Click Here) to see that post of old images from this camera.
 
I also wrote a tongue-in-cheek nod to Edgar Allan Poe's Telltale Heart about this camera. You can read that on JPG Magazine's site if you (Click Here).
 
I want to shoot some color images with this camera while I'm in Japan, so I've already purchased a five roll box of Portra 400. With a maximum shutter speed of 1/200 sec., that may be a little fast if the weather is nice. I'll also take along a roll or two of Fuji Reala that is waiting in my refrigerator.
 
Oh, and don't worry, that 35mm folder will be out in a later month as the SFTC pick.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. The Zeiss is in my carry-on luggage now - on its way to the California desert tomorrow. I hope to use it in that gorgeous desert light...

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete