Thursday, August 1, 2013

Marshall Tucker Band at a New Venue in Leesburg, VA - the Tally Ho Theater

Okay, the venue's not really new, as it originally opened in 1932. But, it was fully renovated this year, and transformed from a musty old movie theater into a first-rate live music stage.
 
(Click Here) to go to the Tally Ho's website, and see upcoming shows.
 
I attended my first concert there last weekend, and was lucky enough to meet the new owner. He invited me to come the following night and shoot the Marshall Tucker Band's concert there.
 
Marshall Tucker Band's Tour Bus at the Tally Ho, by Reed A. George
HDR (seven shots), Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm f2.8 AF Lens
 
I haven't seen the Marshall Tucker Band since I was a kid. I saw them with Charlie Daniels and the Allman Brothers, back in the day.
 
Marshall Tucker Band, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-D Lens
iso 3200, f2.4, 1/90 sec
 
 
Doug Gray of the Marshall Tucker Band, by Reed A. George
Nikon D300, Nikkor 85mm f1.8 Lens
iso 3200, f1.8, 1/125 sec
 
Doug Gray was an original member of the band, which has been in existence for 41 years!
 
I got to meet Marcus James Henderson (keyboards, flute, sax, and vocals) and Chris Hicks (guitar and vocals) in the green room at the Tally Ho. Nice guys, they were pumped up, and made sure this Sunday night show was as lively as a normal weekend.
 
 
Marcus James Henderson, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-D Lens
iso 3200, f2.4, 1/125 sec
Chris Hicks, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AF-D Lens
iso 3200, f2.4, 1/125 sec
Chris Hicks Onstage, by Reed A. George
Nikon D300, Nikkor 85mm f1.8 AF-D Lens
iso 2200, f1.8, 1/125 sec
The Marshall Tucker Band did a great job of packing the Tally Ho on a Sunday night.
 
The New Tally Ho, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 35mm f2 AF-D Lens
iso 200, f5.6, 4 sec
 
Photographically, I leaned on my trusty Nikon DSLRs and a selection of 24mm f2.8, 35mm f2, 50mm f1.4, and 85mm f1.8 lenses. I found myself shooting the highest focal length 85mm on the APS-C sensored D300 a lot, because I simply needed more reach. Next time, I will certainly bring along a 180mm f2.8, another favorite concert lens. I would rather use the even lower noise D700 sensor when shooting in these tough lighting conditions.
 
I'm really pleased to have the Tally Ho back open, renovated, and hosting great live music. More to come from future shows there, you can be sure!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment