Friday, August 30, 2013

The "Sketchbook" Concept

User jl-lb.ms on Rangefinder Forum has put a name to the concept of exploring a subject or concept with a camera, simply documenting a scene, or exploring a thought. He calls it a "sketchbook."
 
(Click Here) to read the post on Rangefinder Forum, and see a couple of examples posted in the comments.
 
I think I do this regularly. Below is an example of my exploration of some raindrops on a tree in the dreary winter of Virginia.
 
"Sketchbook" Raindrops, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Pana-Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm f2.8 Lens
 
Little glimpses like this are interesting. I remember well the day I took these. I was out for a late January walk, cabin fever having set in. I also remember lamenting the barren scene of winter, with very little interesting to look at or shoot. White sky, no leaves on the trees, lots of gray. Even in these times, if you look hard enough, something is interesting. One approach is to simply go with the lack of color and shoot monochrome. Look for structure. Another is always to shoot closeups.
 
What works in these shots, if anything at all, is the glowing dots of out-of-focus raindrops. The final shot shows these best, in my opinion. Even though the overall outdoor light was very dull, even, low contrast, the drops against a relatively dark shadow background lends at least a little drama. No masterpiece here, these are still worthy of the "sketchbook." They bring back the day for me now, 18 months later.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment