Monday, August 5, 2013

Digital Photography School Presents "5 Important Components of a Powerful Image"

I really enjoy reading posts that remind me of the important things to consider when making a photograph.
 
Digital Photography School has a post about "5 Important Components of a Powerful Image":
 
(Click Here) to read it on digital-photography-school.com
 
As usual, I'll summarize it here, and show you what I think is most important in the article. First off, there's nothing new here. The components listed in the post are:
 
  1. Subject
  2. Strong composition
  3. Moment
  4. Light
  5. Emotional impact
Pretty obvious, right? But, we can all use the reminder. I decided to look through one of my photo sets on flickr, and see if I could identify these components. I'm not saying I nailed each of these, but I did find pictures in this small set of images of the Tozai railway, a historic railroad that takes you up the mountainside in Hakone, Japan, which at least illustrate some of the concepts. So, here we go:
 
Subject:
 
 
Composition:
 
 
Moment:
 
 
Light:
 
 
Emotional Impact:
 
 
I certainly struggled to find any emotional impact in this set. The image I selected makes me feel the experience of actually riding the train. I have no idea if anyone else will get that from the image.
 
I shot all of these images on Panasonic Lumix cameras: the DMC-GF1, DMC-G1, and DMC-LX5, all now relegated to the past in favor of newer models. Actually, my wife now uses the LX5 for her real estate business, and I still have the GF1, just don't use it much at all.
 
It is useful to review basic concepts and components of great photographs. I think you really get powerful images when you can combine multiple components into a single image. Of these images, I would say the closest to accomplishing that is the first - the subject and lighting are pretty good, and the moment is right to catch the driver's face in the best light.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I've long advised that people seeking to have a good understanding of this kind of topic spread the research across numerous blogs so as not to deal with wrong information. You've provided so many spots for people like me first of all. But this can be confusing for some. Let's remember the only real enemy here's not being focused. This can happen to some. And so my advice is: Stay focused. Many thanks
    Get more info through clipping path.

    ReplyDelete