Friday, February 10, 2012

First Few Shots From the Lumix DMC-TS3

Lumix DMC-TS3
I Got the Orange One
Image Source: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/DMC-TS3D


I mentioned a few weeks ago that I was interested in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, which is a waterproof, freeze-proof, shockproof compact.  I also mentioned that the DMC-TS4 was announced, according to Panasonic tradition, at the end of January.  I took the opportunity to get the TS3 at a great price, since for me the upgrades that went into the TS4 were not that important.
 
I do a lot of outdoor activities, many around water.  So, I plan to put a lot of miles on this little camera.  However, it being winter, and me being busy, I haven't had much chance to get out with it yet.  In fact, all of the pictures I'll share below were taken within a few minutes' walk of my office, at the beautiful research campus where I'm lucky enough to work.  Here they are:
 
Snowfall on Campus, by Reed A. George
Snowfall on Campus, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, iso320, f3.3 1/60 sec

 
 
Fallen by Reed A. George
 Fallen, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, iso400, f3.3 1/40 sec

 
 Rising, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, iso160, f3.3 1/160 sec

For the snow shots, I used the canned "snow" picture mode.  I noticed that several of the images had motion blur, so I need to watch my shutter speed a little more closely.  I also need to figure out the focusing modes, as some were focused other than where I had planned.  

I should also report that the GPS function seems imperfect, in that it uses the latest location in memory, even if it has been inside, unable to update.  So, my images are tagged as being in Montgomery County, Maryland, even though they were taken in Virginia.  I would prefer that it insert no information if it hasn't been able to update since last used.

I plan to share some more exciting images as the weather improves, and I make it out into the field.  I wanted to post at least some initial results, and share how nice it is to be able to carry a camera out in the snow, or submerge it under the river surface, without worrying about damage.  This camera will be at the low end of image quality for me, but the tradeoff of toughness will likely allow me to capture some shots that would otherwise be missed.

DMC-365.blogspot.com

Interested in the DMC-TS3?  Get it here at Amazon by clicking below:


2 comments:

  1. Reed, just in time, I'm in search for my first waterproof camera, good to read this. thanks!

    btw, does the TS3 shoot in RAW mode?

    keep bloggin'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for dropping by! No, unfortunately, the TS3 doesn't shoot raw. I don't believe the TS4 does, either.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete