Sunday, February 19, 2012

Thoughts And Sample of Lumix DMC-GX1 at iso 12,800

 
DMC-GX1 at iso 12,800!
 Image Source: http://www.pbase.com/phile/image/141224198/original.jpg
Lumix DMC-GX1 at iso12,800 by Robert Deutsch

In my earlier post about my decision to skip the DMC-GX1 in favor of the DMC-G3, I stated that it was hard for me to imagine that the ability of the GX1 to go to iso 12,800 was likely to be of use.  My thought (guess, conjecture) was that it couldn't produce reasonable noise performance at that setting.  Based on this sample by Robert Deutsch, I seem to be wrong.  

(Click here) to read Robert's post on dpreview.  It is worth reading the responses, some of which question our recent obsession with high iso performance.  Some even bring up the fact that you could never buy film with sensitivity approaching these levels; I find that argument irrelevant.  I know that I was very pleased to find that I can shoot my G3 at iso 6400, and used it to my advantage at a recent concert.

Burgoo by Lumix DMC-G3 at iso 6,400 by Reed A. George
Acoustic Burgoo, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 100-300mm f4-5.6 at 100mm
iso6400, f4, 1/100 sec

So, I admit I judged the GX1 prematurely.  Obviously, it does okay at iso 12,800.  Thanks to Robert for showing his result.

DMC-365.blogspot.com

If you are shopping for either the G3 or GX1 (or anything from Amazon), please support my blog and click here:


3 comments:

  1. I can sense a GX1 coming?

    I really like the "Acoustic Burgoo" shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am holding off for now... We will see!

    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete