Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Inspiration Requires Patience

 
I just read an excellent piece on Kirk Tuck's Visual Science Lab regarding how patience leads to inspiration in photography. His example is a commercial shoot of water treatment facilities.
 
(Click Here) to read Kirk's thoughts on the subject.
 
I once found a very sad and interesting place, a Mennonite Cemetery in Oklahoma,on the site where their church used to stand. It is now an open field, with only a few headstones, and the old church stairs.
 
 
Mennonite Church Stairs, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm f2.8D Lens
iso 400, f2.8, 1/100 sec
 
It is a sad place, in my opinion. These people were buried near their church, a place that felt like home to them. The church has been moved and restored, which is nice, I suppose. But, the graves are now left in this desolate place.
 
Anyway, this was an example of when it took me a good hour on the site to begin to capture pictures that I hope share how I feel about the place. This was no "swoop in, shoot it, be gone" situation. My tripod was a necessity to allow me to think and compose. Somehow in the end, it worked.
 
Sunset Over Mennonite Cemetery, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 24mm f2.8D Lens
iso 400, f2.8, 1/2000 sec
 
 
Unknown Mennonite Grave Marker, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor 50mm f1.2 AIS Manual Focus Lens
iso 400, f2, 1/500 sec
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment