Thursday, July 26, 2012

Music Festival Photography - Timely Piece on ePhotoZine

 
"The Shakedown," by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso 200, f5.6, 1/60 sec
 
There's an entry on the ePhotoZine blog about festival photography. This is timely, as I'm heading out to Floyd Fest starting tomorrow (by the time you read this, I'll be at the festival).
 
(Click Here) to see the Floyd Fest webpage.
 
It's a five hour drive from home, and I'll be staying for three nights.
 
Okay - so what does ePhotoZine have to say about festival photography? Here are the main points:
 
  1. Get a high vantage point if possible.
  2. Arrive early - good advice for any event.
  3. "Good Zoom" - this means to be ready to use a range of focal lengths to me, not necessarily a zoom. They also mention waterproof cameras or cases at this point. I'll be bringing my Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 underwater camera to this show; I hope I don't need it.
  4. Steady hands - some tips on minimizing vibration when shooting
  5. Have a plan - this one is a must, especially at a large festival. There is no way that I'll cover all the bands at Floyd Fest. In fact, there's no way that I'll cover the whole day, every day, during a four day music festival. My goal is to see the bands that I know and like, and hopefully add a few new favorites.
(Click Here) to read the original piece on ePhotoZine.



My plan for this show is to take only Lumix gear, plus maybe one film camera. I will take two DMC-G3s, Lumix 12mm f2.5, Pana-Leica 25mm f1.4 and 45mm f2.8, Lumix 100-300mm f4-5.6 and Voigtlander 75mm f2.5 manual focus Leica Thread Mount (LTM) lenses, and Nissin flash. I am receiving my new Lumix 12-35mm f2.8 zoom today. If I'm comfortable with its operation, it may replace all the primes for this trip, but I doubt it. It's never a good idea to rely too much on a new lens on a trip.
 
In terms of a film camera, I'm planning to carry a Leica CL and adapted LTM 3.5cm Elmar f3.5. I hope to use that for candid shots of festival-goers.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment