Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Rumor - Four New Lenses To Be Announced By Panasonic at Photokina in September - Does This Affect My Olympus 75mm Lens Order?

 
Lumix 35-100 f2.8 X Zoom
Image Source: http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-four-new-m43-from-panasonic/
 
According to a post on 43rumors, Panasonic will announce four new lenses at Photokina in September. The 35-100mm f2.8 news has been out there for a while. This could be a nice lens. I think a tele-zoom at f2.8 would be more interesting to me than the 12-35mm f2.8 turned out to be.
 
(Click Here) to read the original post on 43rumors.
 
Speculation also says that Panasonic is likely to announce a lens that competes with the new Olympus 75mm f1.8. This has me thinking - should I wait and not purchase the Olympus lens?
 
Reasons to NOT purchase the Olympus 75mm:
  • Mega OIS (vibration reduction) will likely be included in the Panasonic lens. Since I use Panasonic bodies, and Olympus puts vibration reduction in their bodies, I won't ever get this from an Olympus lens.
  • Frankly, I'd rather have a Panasonic lens.
  • The Olympus lens is only available in silver.
  • I've already been waiting six weeks for my Olympus order to be shipped
Reasons to GO AHEAD and purchase the Olympus 75mm:
  • Who knows exactly what Panasonic will announce? I'm convinced 75mm is a great focal length for me. If Panasonic announces a 60mm, that won't be long enough for me.
  • Most importantly, when will a new Panasonic lens really be available? Probably 2013. I'm not waiting that long.
  • I'm sure the Olympus lens will have wonderful build and image quality.
  • I somehow doubt that Panasonic's lens will be f1.8 or faster (but that's just a guess). I want that fast f-stop.
  • I'm impatient.
So, I'm going ahead with my Olympus 75mm f1.8 purchase.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Well, here's an update.

    Even though my logic above was beyond attack, haha, I've spent my money on a used Leica M9 that was just too good to pass up. So, I'll be waiting to see what Panasonic announces next month, and rebuilding my cash.

    After the announcement, I'll again decide on the Olympus 75mm, or a new telephoto from Panasonic.

    Reed

    ReplyDelete