Thursday, August 30, 2012

Speculation on the Leica M10 - to be Announced in September?

 
Leica M9
Image Source: http://us.leica-camera.com/photography/m_system/m9/
 
Steve Huff has posted his information and speculations on what the much-expected Leica M10 will be like.
 
(Click Here) to read Steve's post.
 
There is also a poll at the bottom of the page. I'll admit that I voted "No," I wouldn't buy the camera described in the text.
 
Why is that? Well, a Leica M with electronic viewfinder (EVF), video capability, and speculated $9k-$10k price won't work for me. I have a great EVF camera in the Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, getting even better with the DMC-G5 or soon-to-be-announced DMC-GH3. I expect my Leica M to be a rangefinder, as much a part of Leica's once-innovative, now-established design history as possible.
 
One thing I really like about Steve's post - he thinks this will drive the price of used M9s up. Like the smug new homeowner, I have just purchased an M9 at a steal of a price. I am waiting for the Paypal eCheck to clear (another story on its own), and the mail.
 
So, I hope my faithful readers won't mind a new spike of Leica images and stories. I have decided that since Panasonic doesn't have a long history in still photography (or any film camera history), I'll follow their (still existing?) collaboration with Leica for that part of my photography. I have had M9 on the brain for a couple of years now. I'm very excited to get started with it.
 
But don't worry, I am still very engaged in Panasonic cameras. This may just change my timing a little, driven by cost. For example, I did decide to hold off on the Olympus 75mm f1.8 Micro 4/3 lens, even though I know it's going to be great. While my bank account recovers from the M9 purchase, I'll see if Panasonic has an analogous lens to introduce. I would like the 75mm lens even more if it were from Panasonic, and included OIS, for example.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment