Friday, April 18, 2014

Dreaming in Monochrom(e) - Ilford Delta 3200 Film at a Concert

A few weeks ago, I posted digital pictures from a Keel Power Trio concert at Gypsy Sally's in Washington, DC. They were all shot on the Nikon D700, and processed in Lightroom to emulate Ilford Delta 3200.
 
(Click Here) to see that post.
 
I also shot my "Dreaming in Monochrom(e)" camera, the Leica M4-2, loaded with the real deal, actual Ilford Delta 3200 film. Here are the results:
 
 
 
 
Larry Keel Power Trio, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Carl Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
 
Man, I really love shooting the M4-2, and Delta 3200 opens up a lot of opportunities for low light shooting. I typically shoot it as if it were rated at 1600, and have it processed normally at The Darkroom (thedarkroom.com).
 
This "Dreaming in Monochrom(e)" project has taught me so much. First, it reopened my ability to shoot film at live music events. It also refocused me on a style of monochrome images that I think fit my chosen type of music very well. In fact, it even transformed how I process my digital images from these events.
 
But the experience is giving me the distinct feeling that restricting any given camera to black and white only may not be for me. While I love shooting the M4-2 with TMax 400 or Delta 3200, I sometimes leave it at home because I've temporarily dedicated it to this project and am not using it for color. I would not be happy with a several thousand dollar digital Leica Monochrom that I couldn't carry without reservation any time I want.
 
I feel very fortunate to be around such great musicians. What could be better than bringing together two passions - live music and photography?
My Friend, Polly, by Reed A. George
Leica M4-2, Carl Zeiss C-Sonnar 50mm f1.5 Lens
 
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment