Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Taking Advantage of the Lumix GX7 Silent Shutter

New Mexico Diner, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7, Lumix 20mm f1.7 Lens
 
The GX7 has an electronic (silent) shutter feature, which is very nice. The first thing I do when setting up any digital camera is find the controls to make all of the beeps and sounds go away. Permanently. Up until the GX7, all of my Lumix Micro 4/3 cameras have had a mechanical shutter, which is not all that quiet. The GX7 gives you the option of using either the mechanical shutter, or the silent electronic option.
 
The electronic shutter is not always appropriate. It doesn't work with flash (which I use as sparingly as possible, anyway), and it reportedly has problems with specific wavelengths of fluorescent lighting. But, as you can see above, it can really be handy in the right situation. I had the camera on my table, and simply pointed it in the right direction and pushed the shutter release. This was shot wide open at f1.4 f1.7 (thanks to Dennis Gallus for pointing out my typo). The image is right from the camera (unedited jpeg).
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment