Monday, January 9, 2012

"Kingu Saizu," Shot Using GF1 With Hyperfocal Setting

This image of a sumo wrestler in Ryogoku, Tokyo, Japan was made with my GF1, using hyperfocal settings.  You can see the wide depth of focus that I was able to achieve with a setting of f5.6 on the Lumix 20mm f1.7 lens.  

This image is a good example of why hyperfocal imaging works well for me in street photography.  I could have had the camera in autofocus mode, and likely would have been able to capture the sumo himself sharply focused.  But, if the autofocus delay was too long, the focus zone set somewhere other than center, or if the focusing itself  took too long, I would have missed the moment.  Also, if I had been using a wider (lower number) f-stop, the building behind would have been out of focus.  That would have missed two important points in the background - the sumo sign on the building front, and the Japanese lettering that reads "Kingu Saizu" (King Size).  

Importantly, I did not notice these two elements on the building front at the time.  I was pleasantly surprised to find them after the image was captured.  This is not an uncommon experience for me.

Being ready, with my camera set at the hyperfocal point, allowed me to capture this moment.

DMC-365.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment