Friday, September 14, 2012

So What About the New Panasonic DMC-G5?

Well, I've written a little about it, but have not invested in one.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
Image Source: shop.panasonic.com
 
The SoundImagePlus blog is covering the G5 in an ongoing series (four installments so far).
 
(Click Here) to see SoundImagePlus' review series on the G5. There are some nice sample images there, as well.
 
Here's what I've learned so far:
  • (+) Better grip than the DMC-G3, which is my current camera. Not surprising. The G3 is weak in this area. Can someone make a nice grip attachment for the G3?
  • (-) Newly-redesigned menus (sigh). This would mean working through another long set of menus, and writing a new eBook to figure out how to set it up.
  • (+/- no advantage) According to SoundImagePlus, essentially identical high iso performance to the G3 and GX1.
  • (+) Electronic shutter mode for silent shutter release.
  • (-) Different battery from the G3, which means carrying another charger.

So, here's where I am on this camera, at the moment. If I didn't already own the G3 (two, actually), would I buy the G5 instead? Yes.
 
Will I replace a G3 with a G5? No. There's just not enough improvement there to make the switch.
 
Of course, the buzz now is all about what the DMC-GH3, supposed to be announced this month, will bring. That may be a different story for me.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment