Thursday, May 23, 2013

Chase Jarvis Shares Ten Things Every Creative Photographer Must Know

 
Hearts, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
iso 400, f1.5, 1/50 sec.
 
I like to read about how to stay (or become more) creative. Many themes are repeated over and over in books or posts regarding creativity, but I figure, hey - until I'm actually using them all, I can stand to read about them again.
 
Chase Jarvis recently shared ten things every creative person should remember:
 
  1. The "experts" don't know it all.
  2. Clients can't express what they want.
  3. Try to be "different" as opposed to "better."
  4. Challenges are good.
  5. Knowing good design concepts is important.
  6. Simplify.
  7. Don't be afraid of mistakes, learn from them.
  8. Make your work so valuable that price doesn't matter.
  9. Work with great people.
  10. Really create something.
I like these concepts, and agree with them. For me, #3 is one of the most interesting. I don't think Chase means that you should be different just for the sake of being different. But, if you can bring a fresh perspective to your art, it doesn't necessarily have to be better than someone else's. Just fresh and new.
 
Of course, #10 makes a lot of sense, too. I remember putting together my first project submission for a magazine. It failed to get published in my target journal, but the experience of putting it together, really finishing it, did pay off. Finish things. If you don't, there's no chance they'll succeed.
 
(Click Here) to read Chase's thoughts in more detail. Worthwhile reading.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment