Sunday, May 5, 2013

Feeling the Urge to Get in the Kayak - It's Osprey Season Again!

 
Osprey (Pandion Haliaetus), by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, 300mm f4 AF-IF Nikkor
iso1600, f5.6, 1/1000 sec
 
I saw a great post on mu-43.com about shooting ospreys at the nest.
 
(Click Here) to read denniscloutier's post and see his awesome osprey picture.
 
Forgive me for reposting last year's osprey shot of my own above, but it is motivating me to make time to get the kayak down from the garage ceiling and get paddling! It's one of the great attractions to living here in Northern Virginia - the Chesapeake Bay, Potomac River, etc. - lots of great kayaking, and lots of great birds of prey, including a healthy population of bald eagles.
 
This shot from last year made it into a published calendar, along with my shot of an Eastern Kingbird.
 
So, before this actually posted, I did dust off the kayak and got out to shoot. No perfect shots on this particular trip - this is a patient person's hobby. But I got a couple that are perhaps worth sharing:
 
Osprey (Pandion Haliaetus), by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, 500mm f4 AiP (Manual Focus) + 1.4X Nikkor Converter
iso 800, f8, 1/1000 sec.


While the ospreys are my real target species, these beautiful little Kingbirds are my constant companions at this particular spot, so I occasionally grab a nice shot of them, too:
Eastern Kingbird (Tyrannus tyrannus), by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, 500mm f4 AiP (Manual Focus) + 1.4X Nikkor Converter
iso 560, f8, 1/1000 sec.
 
It's great to welcome springtime with some time out on the water with my camera!
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment