Friday, May 31, 2013

Found Film! - The Brownie Bullet Yields Six Frames

A while back, I wrote about the Brownie Bullet that I found at an antique store. I converted it to shoot 35mm film, which is kind of cool.
 
(Click Here) to see the camera and some of my recent 35mm results.
 
The Bullet was a little challenging to convert for two reasons: 1) a roll of 35mm film doesn't fit inside the body; it has to be removed from the cassette, and 2) it shoots onto a curved film surface, so I had to build my own insert to get the correct film curvature.
 
But, the real reason I bought the camera was because it had a roll of 127 film still in it. I wanted to see if there were any images that had survived since the Bullet had been put on the shelf at some point in the past.
 
Well, The Darkroom (thedarkroom.com) has finished processing my 127 film, and guess what? Six frames came out!
 
Seems one of its last trips was to the beach.
 
 
 
As far as I can surmise, this little girl is probably about my age (48) or a little older now, assuming all is well and she's still around.
 
There were also a couple of shots of a house:
I haven't post-processed these scans from The Darkroom, other than to increase contrast a bit. If I zoom way in on the closer shot, I am pretty sure I see a Ford Mustang. That means it was at least 1964 when these images were taken.
 
I am always surprised at how well a roll of film can survive sitting for forty years or more in a camera. Getting six of the original eight frames was more than I could have wished for.
 
I have no idea where these were taken. If anyone recognizes the beach or the house, let me know!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
Here's a link to a book on Amazon about converting a larger 127 Brownie to 35mm film. I think this one's probably easier than the Bullet:
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment