Friday, December 19, 2014

New Nikon 20mm f1.8 - Samples Posted on SoundImagePlus

By and By, by Reed A. George
Nikon D700, Nikkor AF-D 20mm f2.8 Lens
 
I have grown to love my older Nikon 20mm f2.8 lens over the past few years. At first, it just seemed too wide for me to use much. As I've shot more live music, especially in small venues or where I can get very close to the stage, I love to use it. It's pretty cool to be so close and still get the whole band in a single shot.
 
At a maximum aperture of f2.8, I sometimes feel I need something faster. Of course, that must be balanced with the need for depth of field (which diminishes at wider apertures), but at 20mm focal length, that's not really too much of an issue.
 
And, the advent of better and better sensors, makes it less urgent as well. I don't mind shooting at f2.8 or even f4 at all, if my sensor can handle the iso settings that are necessary in a dark club. The Nikon Df sure seems to do that for me.
 
Anyway, the new Nikkor 20mm f1.8 G lens looks very interesting to me. Reasonably priced at around $800, my only (typical) complaint is about the lack of an aperture ring. Fine on my D700 or Df, it does mean that I can't effectively use the lens on older film bodies.
 
The blog SoundImagePlus has recently posted some very nice image samples with this new lens.
 
(Click Here) to read the post and view the samples on SoundImagePlus.
 
Ready to buy this lens? Please support my blog by ordering yours through the Amazon link below. It costs you nothing, and helps me a lot!
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment