Sunday, March 25, 2012

And The Weather Report Told Me To Stay Inside! Cherry Blossoms in Washington, DC.

 
Jefferson Memorial, Cherry Blossoms, by Reed A. George
Jefferson Memorial, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Pana-Leica 25mm Summilux f1.4
iso160, f11, 0.3 sec
 
Well, it is a rainy weekend here in Washington, DC. But, I knew that overcast weather would make for some nice diffuse lighting. And, since I will be out of town soon, I don't have many more opportunities to see the cherry blossoms in DC this year. So, I decided to brave the weather, and be there at sunrise. I hope you'll agree that the trip was worth it.
 
By the way, it is the 100th anniversary of the original gift of cherry trees from Japan.
 
 
DC Cherry Blossoms, by Reed A. George
Cherry Blossoms, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Pana-Leica 45mm Macro_Elmarit f2.8
iso400, f4, 1/30 sec

The foggy morning light really allowed the subtle colors of the cherry blossoms to pop. In fact, I had to tone them down a little in post-processing, as they looked a little cartoonish to me.


DC Cherry Blossoms, by Reed A. George
Cherry Blossom Bouquet, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f2.5, 1/40 sec

I think the image above is my favorite of the morning. Those blossoms on the tree trunk were completely natural, but looked like a florist had arranged them there. Of course, as I was shooting it, another photographer walked right up with his DSLR and snapped it over my shoulder. Oh well, I guess I don't own DC, do I? Actually, I hope he got a nice shot.


Petals in the Tidal Basin, by Reed A. George
Petals in the Tidal Basin, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f16, 1 sec
 
In the shot above, the water looked very grungy. So, I changed the white balance a little blue to compensate; I may have gone too far.
 
 
Contrasting Reds, by Reed A. George
Contrasting Reds, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14-140mm f4-5.8 at 140mm
iso400, f5.8, 1/50 sec

In the image above, I enjoy the way the tree trunks in the boke in the background form a leading line. Without that, this image would be very flat.


Vintage DC Postcard, by Reed A. George
Vintage Postcard Look, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3, "Pinhole Camera" scene mode
On Camera Flash, iso640, f5, 1/60 sec

I also took the opportunity to play with the DMC-TS3 this morning, using a preset called "Pinhole Camera." This made the image have a dark vignette around the edges, which I replaced in Lightroom with white. I like the effect. Not to be used every day, but kind of cool in this case.
 
 
Subtle Pinks, by Reed A. George
Soft Pinks, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Pana-Leica 45mm Macro_Elmarit f2.8
iso400, f2.8, 1/500 sec

I like how this image shows blossoms that range from right at their peak bloom to those already missing their petals. I also love the soft pink colors, and the nice out of focus areas. That is why I chose this as the closer for this post.

I sure am glad I didn't listen to the weather report's advice! This was a couple of hours well-spent.

DMC-365.blogspot.com


 
 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful job Reed. I decided to pass on fighting the weather and crowds, but you proved tenacity and a good eye win the day. I think the Petals in the Basin is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job, Reed. The trying weather conditions worked in your favor. All are nice, but "Contrasting Reds" is especially so (do I detect a Japanese influence?).

    James

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful work on these, Reed. Really soft and inviting light and well composed images.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! I'm glad I went when I did. With the wind and cold, it's essentially over for this year in DC.

    However, it will be interesting to see if anything comes back again with the second transition to warm weather.

    Reed
    DMC-365.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thumbs up! Your persistence surely paid off!

    ReplyDelete