Monday, March 5, 2012

Limiting Myself to Wide Angle - The Results

Reflecting, by Reed A. George
Reflecting, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f8, 1/400 sec
 
This weekend, I decided to shoot with a wide angle lens, exclusively. These are the results. I took one of my G3s and the 14mm f2.5 for a trip into Washington, DC yesterday. I met my friend James at Eastern Market, one of our favorite haunts.
 
Now, you may argue that at an equivalent field of view to a 28mm lens in 35mm full frame format, the 14mm is not that wide. For me, it is. Maybe I will continue to try wider, but for now, this was challenge enough.
Sulaiman, by Reed A. George
Sulaiman, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f3.2, 1/800 sec

Sulaiman sells fragrance oils at the Eastern Market flea. He is also an avid photographer (notice his necklace? a Leica M6). He's a super-friendly guy. Stop by any Sunday and test out his products.
 
 
 
Friends, by Reed A. George
Friends, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f8, 1/160 sec

These young ladies were nice enough to let me take their picture as they relaxed curbside. I like how the wide angle allowed me to use the leading line of the curb, and include the walkers at the top left of the image.


Pairs, by Reed A. George
Pairs, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f8, 1/640 sec

I do need to work on holding the camera level, which is a challenge for me always, but is especially important with wide angle lenses. Thankfully, Lightroom makes slight perspective adjustments easy.


Front Yard, by Reed A. George
Front Yard, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f8, 1/100 sec

I underexposed this one by one full stop, in order to saturate the red of the wall I find the white tracks of previous vines most interesting.

Reflecting Two, by Reed A. George
Reflecting Two, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f4, 1/50 sec

In this shot, I captured the reflection of a tree and row house in a puddle. James asked if I was taking a self-portrait. Joker.

Trainer, by Reed A. George
Trainer, by Reed A. George
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3, Lumix 14mm f2.5
iso160, f8, 1/160 sec
So, after a weekend of wide angle shooting, what do I conclude? Only a few things: 1) I need to work on keeping the camera level, 2) sometimes it allows me to include elements that I would normally miss, and 3) I'm glad that I have other lenses. However, I do feel a little more appreciative of that tiny little 14mm in my bag (buy yours from Amazon, below). Sometimes it's good to force yourself to try something like this.
 
DMC-365.blogspot.com
 
 
 
 

1 comment: